Posted December 14, 2017
Did you know that in the winter in Carbondale, Colorado, your options for fun activities range from hiking and cross-country skiing to attending the theater and couples country dancing? You’ll find no shortage of fun winter activities when you choose Carbondale as your winter vacation destination. Below, we share details on 7 fun winter activities you can enjoy in Carbondale.
- Cross-country skiing at Spring Gulch — Enjoy cross-country skiing on 12 miles of groomed trails at Spring Gulch, located 7 miles west of Carbondale. The Spring Gulch trail system is free to use and offers trails for all levels. Please note that the Spring Gulch trail system is for Nordic skiing only and dogs are prohibited.
- Skiing and snowboarding at Sunlight Mountain — This ski area near Carbondale is affordable and fun. The whole experience is a breeze with free parking, no crowds, and no lift lines. This makes Sunlight Mountain a great ski area for families.
- Fat Biking — Ride the lower Prince Creek Trails for fat biking fun! The South Porcupine Trail is fun and easy, making it a great introduction to fat biking for beginners.
- Country Dancing at The Launchpad — Master the Two Step, Cowboy Cha Cha, and more at Country Couples Dance on Mondays from 7:30–8:30 PM, with a practice session from 8:30–9:30 PM. The instructor recommends smooth soled leather shoes or a non-street shoe. $10 per person.
- Check out a performance at Thunder River Theatre Company — Enjoy an evening at the theatre in Carbondale and support the local arts community while you’re at it! This December, Thunder River will perform Constellations, with performances December 13–16, 2017.
- Take a self-guided history tour of Carbondale — Download the self-guided history tour document. Tour highlights include Dad Long’s Store at 303 Main Street, where farmers and cowboys once gathered over cheese and crackers by the barrel-full. Also, Carbondale’s longest running community event, Potato Days, got its start in 1909 on the corner of 4th and Main. Back in the early days of Potato Days, people received prizes for the largest beets, babies, and potatoes (of course!).
- Hike Red Hill Recreation Area — Hiking in the winter on a sunny day is refreshing. All of the trails connect on Red Hill, so you can easily adjust your hike’s distance.
For more Carbondale fun, check out:
- Yoga and wellness in Carbondale
- Fishing in Carbondale
- Carbondale arts and culture
- Upcoming events
About Carbondale, Colorado —
The friendly mountain town of Carbondale offers an intimate and authentic community vibe with affordable lodging, farm-to-table dining experiences, cultural events, and easy access to two world-class ski resorts.